RE: Re: 1619 - the first few weeks

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:32:40 +0200 (CEST)

Donald and Jane:

>>> As it's part of Fazzar's army for the invasion of Heortland >>> nobody's going to miss that marching south

>>True, it was just a question of the route it takes, and therefore *who* >>ends up spotting it, and who they report to.

> Looking at the maps I've got there's only one road going past WW
> and through Volsaxland. That's the one going south from Wilmskirk.
> While there may be some troops moving along other routes the bulk
> will follow the best road.

There are three feasible routes towards Karse - through Sun Dome County, through Locaem lands, and up the Chorms River following Tarkalor's road.

IIRC from the Wilmskirk discussions the Lunar forces used both the Locaem and the Chorms routes with their advance elements, with the first contact northwest of Whitewall along the Locaem route. The Wilmskirk route became the main supply line because of the road quality.

>>With Jorkandros in charge, and Tatius' choice of units. Whatever he can
>>spare from the real work. Anything suitable for taking cities is heading
>>for Karse and Smithstone.

> Fazzur's choice surely? I'm not sure what Tatius is up to at this point
> but he doesn't seem to make an appearance until later. Probably units
> who suffered heavily in the battle against the Volsaxi.

Fazzur is taking anything sufficiently mobile and suitable for taking a lightly fortified city.

IMO Smithstone is a sprawling city with no fortification worth the name. The walls and ditches are more of a political statement ("this is where city grounds begin") softened by suburbs which might have fences for their outer defenses. In other words: the material for the ramps to scale fairly low fortifications stands right outside the walls.

The same situation appears to be present in Karse, but here the walled city is better fortified than most hill forts, and the keep betters that again. Fazzur managed to breach the outer defenses in reasonable time with reasonable effort, but took special measures to overcome the core fortification. Enough so that the drama was sufficient to be included in the CHDP.