RE: Re: 1619 - the first few weeks

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:44:41 GMT

In message <000001c4a6bd$5e048200$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:
>> Nah, if the army's involved we're past the conversion stage.
>> Conversion's already been tried and failed so now the army's
>> involved. Their job is to defend the Empire, in this case by
>> defeating some of its enemies who are a clear and present
>> danger. I don't think the Lunar army's any more subtle in
>> this way than any other army.
>
>That being said, I agree that the Lunars would look at the 300-odd
>troops in WW (the ones they've just chased there), their own 1000s of
>troops, and offer the chance to surrender in the forlorn hope that the
>barbarians would be sane enough to take it. What have they got to lose
>by making the offer?

Oh, I can see the Lunars making an offer, just that it wouldn't be a nice fluffy offer. Something like if you surrender now we'll only crucify your leaders, the rest can return home without weapons if you pay a fine. If you don't surrender we'll crucify the lot of you and then burn your steads.

>And as Rob says, it makes for good role-play opportunity.

True, but it's a nasty choice between horrible alternatives not someone being nice.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/