Runaway peasants

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:12:58 +0100

Donald and I were going through one of those "we need an NPC with these abilities, where does he come from?" moments, and he pointed out that:

"If Rikard brought some peasants with him [from Seshnela] to Heortland there's no reason some couldn't have run away and ended up at WW."

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject? Me, I know next to nuffin about Rikard.

What I was originally after was an animist tradition that would have charms/spirits that do things like "avoid attention", "hide from soldier", "see what you expect to see" and general subservient stay-out-of-trouble stuff. The sort of thing you might expect from a down-trodden peasant. Seshnela doesn't seem to be all that animist, though :(

Why animist? I want them to be able to "loan" the ability to someone else. So a friendly spirit in an item could be persuaded to help a friend. I don't think that sort of thing can be done with theism or wizardry (though I'd be delighted to be corrected).