RE: Re: Cosmic Compromise

From: Denethor Hurin <sinherit_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:17:47 -0700 (PDT)

> PS. And I expect the Lunars would deny that the Heortlings summoned
> the
> Bat. Just as Palangio would have denied that the Heortlings summoned
> him.

This brings up a couple of questions in my mind. Would the Lunars/Palangio necessarily have anything to deny? o_O

Let's rephrase that since I'm interested in the underlying reason why this would or wouldn't work: Assuming the Summons of Evil did it's job would they even be aware that there had been a telepathic compulsion planted in their minds by the ritual or would such a compulsion be more effective if hidden? In a way this is like Yelm's "Oh I summoned all the Rebels to grovel before me by spending all my time in the Afterlife just a-wishin' and a-hopin' by the power of my mind!". In a magic-based universe how do you prove or disprove a claim of that sort? Certainly, the fact that such claims are made in both mythologies would mean that anyone concerned with magic would have to keep an open mind about the other side's claims on that score if they didn't want to overlook something of value to their side.

I'll admit, up to this moment I was picturing the Summons of Evil as more or less the metaphysical equivalent of "Hit us with your best shot! We double reddog dare ya!" with the enforcement for the other side being that there would be subtle but real morale problems if they *didn't* throw in something heavy after that (Sorta like "Orlanth's Scorn" on a larger and more powerful scale) and the enducement being that if they do and win their gains would be doubled or better. In other words "The Summons of Evil" makes an offer the other side can't refuse but does enter into voluntarily and knowingly. The "Summons of Evil as telepathic compulsion" angle interests me because I hadn't thought of it that way but how many minds would it effect and how subtle or blatent would it be? And how would you get it to reach the mind you want it to? Would you use things like hair samples, "true names", etc? Or would you just do it on a "To Whom It May Concern" basis and hope that the right Evil shows up?

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail