RE: Re: Summons of Evil

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:52:04 GMT

In message <000201c4acb3$cc12e3d0$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> Nah. Still don't buy it! Its then like Broyan and Kallyr only
>> have to fight people on their terms and that robs some of the
>> romance for me at least.
>
>I can see your point, but I suspect what happened was that they did
>their Summons of Evil and got something a LOT bigger than they were
>expecting.

I agree, Kallyr and Broyan only had a vague idea what might respond, it could have been almost anything big and evil (to the Orlanthi viewpoint). It was the Bat because that was the mythically closest thing nearby. There's probably some formula which determines what gets summoned depending on distance from the summoner, time taken to reach them, size of the threat and amount of evil involved.

>> We played it that everyone was crapping it
>> big time when *the red glow in the north* appeared. Not looking at
>> their wrist sundials going it should be here at 3.15, which will
>> have given my lunch a couple of hours to go down!
>
>It does travel slowly, they could see it coming, and that's a good (sort
>of) line. "There's time to finish the game, and beat the Spaniards too"
>- or something like that.

Or "Will I have time to run away and hide while it snacks on those who stay and fight"?

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/