RE: Re: Summons of Evil

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:55:32 GMT

In message <000401c4acff$6d752c10$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> There's probably some
>> formula which determines what gets summoned depending on
>> distance from the summoner, time taken to reach them, size of
>> the threat and amount of evil involved.
>
>Tell you what. Let's *not* work out what the formula is. Not until we've
>finished calculating the wing-tip velocity of a half-fed Bat, anyway :)

I just thought it'd be something new for those who like to analyse Glorantha that way. All right, I'll admit I had started to work out a suggestion before deciding it wasn't really needed.

>> Or "Will I have time to run away and hide while it snacks on
>> those who stay and fight"?
>
>That's not such a good line.... Can't see Broyan or Kallyr actually
>saying that one. Thinking it, maybe.

No, but there are a heck of a lot of Orlanthi who will be.

>So what game *were* they playing up in the Orlanth Temple as the Bat
>approached? I don't see either of them as chess players myself and I
>can't see Whitewall having a bowling green.

Hnefatafl?

I'm not sure they are going to have the luxury of finishing their game though. Drake had everything ready well beforehand and knew there was no point in leaving port until the Armada was further up the channel. Kallyr and Broyan don't know until they see the Bat what's on the way - they're going to have to decide what to do.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/