RE: Re: Summons of Evil

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 22:12:43 +0100

> >> There's probably some
> >> formula which determines what gets summoned depending on distance
> >> from the summoner, time taken to reach them, size of the
> threat and
> >> amount of evil involved.

It works by Narrative Law. Arachne Solara is a GM/storyteller. She sends whatever will make the best narrative sense. And if you can do a formula for that, no doubt you will soon hav a computer program that writes fiction.

> >So what game *were* they playing up in the Orlanth Temple as the Bat
> >approached? I don't see either of them as chess players myself and I
> >can't see Whitewall having a bowling green.
>
> Hnefatafl?

The one thing I hate about that game is that I can't spell or pronounce it :(

You may well be right. We know Kallyr plays backgammon: I don't have enough of a feel for Broyan to know what sort of game he'd enjoy playing. Anyone else? We really should know more about the guy by now, the amount of time we've spent on this.

> I'm not sure they are going to have the luxury of finishing
> their game though. Drake had everything ready well beforehand
> and knew there was no point in leaving port until the Armada
> was further up the channel.

Also, until the tide was at the right point he didn't have a choice.

> Kallyr and Broyan don't know
> until they see the Bat what's on the way - they're going to
> have to decide what to do.

An interesting question - how much time do they get? Leaving aside advance reports like the one in Rob's game, how far away can the Bat be seen, and how long does it take to cover that distance?