RE: Re: Summons of Evil

From: Denethor Hurin <sinherit_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 01:55:32 -0700 (PDT)

> An interesting question - how much time do they get? Leaving aside
> advance reports like the one in Rob's game, how far away can the Bat
> be
> seen, and how long does it take to cover that distance?

Hmmm! Let me put on my Rules Lawyer hat and see about that one...

[Pulls Dragon Pass rules]

OK, in this game the Bat goes 9 hexs a turn and as a flyer ignores all terrain modifiers. If we set aside the Grazelanders the fastest mounted units go no better than 6 hexs a turn. Conclusion: The Bat is 50% faster than a mounted unit would be over ideal terrain. Let's note that 1 turn = 1 day.

With that in mind...

[Rumages through to RQ III, Book 1, P. 40].

Cavalry movement, described as "Unhindered by wagons/pack animals at a disciplined walk-trot-walk pace" (which is what I assume these horse units would be using) is 50 kilometers a day over ideal terrain.

Therefore, we would be reasonably safe in declaring Bat speed to be at least 75 Kilometers a day over any terrain.. My working assumption here is that DP does provide a reasonable portrayal as to what the Bat's military capabilities are if we don't assume that the Bat was permanently diminished by what Orlanth did to it at Whitewall.

As for how far away it can be seen, the Orlanthi pretty much own the sky prior to it's arrival so the real question has to be how far out has Broyan put his aerial scouts on patrol? [Pulls out Hero Wars: Roleplaying in Glorantha]. OK, on P. 64 of HW we're told that a good flyer can cover 50 miles in 6 hours so why should Broyan settle for less than that? If nothing else this gives plenty of warning for any unpleasent surprises that might be coming in the normal event. Racing the Bat Priests to get word to Broyan might make for an interesting adventure for the Vanagathi or Sky Bull riders. (Is it 5 or 10 enemy flyers a Vanganthii has to shoot down before he can call himself an ace? o_O).

"This is the Tokyo Police Cataclysm Division! Please flee in terror in an orderly manner!" - Fred Gallegher, Megatokyo, www.Megatokyo.com

Do you Yahoo!?
Y! Messenger - Communicate in real time. Download now. http://messenger.yahoo.com