Re: Digest Number 207

From: Labrygon_at_...
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 06:46:19 EDT

In a message dated 11/10/2004 6:49:01 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time, whitewall_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

> Just thought - how about other sightings of the Bat in people's games?
> Has anyone else used it other than in the "set" battles?

I've used the Bat three times and considered a third option.

  1. 13th Century Carmania. PCs are Red Queen hating noble Carmanians, sons of the generation killed (or worse) at the Battle of Chaos. Message comes from the Batt Priest that the Bat is coming and that it will arrive in X days (cannot remember how long) and will need feeding with X bodies and souls, "please cooperate". Various player solutions included the rounding up of criminals, the purchase of slaves (from a Lunar Official) to feed to the bat, hiding in a castle (ie right at the bottom, hoping it goes away), attempts to get the Friends of Darbeest to attack it (failed). The Bat High Priest, at this stage, was a civilised and friendly fellow, who was doing his best to minimise the Bat Damage. Scenario worked well as it was clearly set up as a moral quandry or puzzle rather than a Wandering Monster Encounter.
  2. I did a hex map of the Empire in order to do some Jannisor's rebellion scenarios, one of which involved the Bat. It is interesting that if you use the Roving Seachlight theory that the Bat can fly around with the moon, always at Full and therefore no requirement for it to feed. It is only when it moves out of a certain radius that it cannot keep up.
  3. Dragon Pass boardgame (this is a cheat I guess)

I wanted to do a Bat Trek, the Final Frontier type game, where Captain Kirkius, Spockanazelm, Priestess Uhura etc. fly around the Empire seeking out new feeds, new civilisations.. to Batly go where no bat has glowed before.....queue music.

Keith