RE: Re: Supplies, questions raised IMOG

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:32:52 -0700

> >And the Orlanthi of Dragon pass know all about keeping
> >cattle alive when there's no grazing. They do it every
> >winter. I don't know what the answer is: but they do.
> Haymaking - keep some of the grazing land clear of livestock for
> a few months and then cut and dry the grass. It's a lot of work
> with scythe and ox cart which is why the'll only be enough feed
> for the few animals they intend to keep over the winter.

Donald is absolutely right. During Earth season, folk not only bring in their harvest, but they lay away the hay, and gather firewood for the winter. It is a time of intense physical labor, when every hand is needed (except for the nobles, weaponsthanes and hall warriors - and those other exceptions like Lhankor Mhy sages).

> The winter of 1619/20 Whitewall should have enough hay to keep
> a reasonable herd. After that it's going to be easier sneaking
> cattle into the city for slaughter than wagon loads of hay.

I fully agree.

> I'm not sure how much in the way of dairy products will be
> available. Modern cattle have been bred to produce far more
> milk than their calves need and are kept in an almost perpetual
> breeding cycle. In Dragon Pass you want calves to be born when
> there's plenty of food for their mothers so I would expect they
> would only start producing milk when the calves are born (fire
> season?) and stop in dark season. Half the year the only dairy
> product will be cheese, getting harder and mouldier as the
> winter progresses.

I don't have a good idea about Heortling cheese - except they have both cow's milk and sheep's milk. I know sometimes when we game, I bring over some Manchego or Gouda.

Jeff