Re: Re: Date WW fell

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:46:43 -0700

> Good point. Do any of our experts on dates and rituals for killing gods
> have any comments on this?

Err, "killing" a god is a rare enough event that I doubt there are rituals for it. We've basically got one example inside of time, and we're not even sure who won! (Oh, wait, "Gbaji" lost).

However, in Central Genertalan myth, almost all gods "die" at some point in their myth. They go to hell (or wherever) and come back (usually as part of the LightBringer's Quest, or as part of Yelm's Reascendence). So if you can muck around and prevent the god joining (or leading) the proper exodus, or perhaps join it in a lesser manner, then you can screw things up mightily.

For the Orlanthi, the time to mess them up would be during the Sacred Time rituals (between Lightbringer day and Return Day). On the other hand, I don't think the Gods War is yet ready for this level of interaction, which may be a reason it fails (Tatius over-reaches himself, without the full backing of the Empire he doesn't have the magical oomph to really "kill" Orlanth).

Another problem in killing Orlanth is that he knows the secret of Self-Resurrection. You can kill him all you want, but he'll just come back like a bad penny. Chaining him is probably only slightly easier, as it's kind of tough to chain the wind... It will take some mighty Heroquesting to get rid of Orlanth - you're going to have to change his nature, or change the history of the Gods War (It's probably easier to do a cultural heroquest challenge to make the "Yelm Summons the Rebels" storyline accepted by the Orlanthi).

RR
- Richelieu