RE: Re: Date WW fell

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:55:50 GMT

In message <000301c4b865$6493ec00$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>Well, yeah... But in theory, if you were Tatius, trying to design a
>ritual to "kill" Orlanth (yes, limitations accepted), which climaxed on
>Windsday, Death week, Dark season, then is there any particular day on
>which said ritual should start? Any "lead-in" HQs, or anything? Any
>date-dependent stuff at all that we can use as an excuse for Tatius
>delaying the military defeat of WW?

Let's try and work out what heroquests Tatius is trying to perform.

We know from KoS (pg 148)

"The Lunar assault went well. To start seven meteors were hurled from the moon and struck precisely. They destroyed key parts of the city including the Orlanth Temple. When it was buried a great gout of lightning burst forth, arching over the walls to sear many hundreds of troops who quietly awaited the assault. The Seven of Vistur built seven long ramps from the ground to the wall, and although they thought it would be easy, several hundred troops whose souls served as a power source died in supporting the deed. Ten thousand archers loosed their shafts, and the noise from the flying arrows hurt the ears of listeners. Then Imperial hoplites, glowing with protective magic, led the attack up the ramps. They were met by rocks which hurled themselves from the ramparts and rolled down the assault ramps. Yet the Lunars pushed onwards."

From that I see two distinct heroquests:

Firstly the building of seven ramps in a short space of time by the Seven of Vistur - the unexpected community deaths indicate that it was either experimental or something went wrong.

Secondly, one where the Crater Makers bring seven meteors from the moon which is probably a routine heroquest for them. However this is critical to "killing" Orlanth, are the Crater Makers usually capable of this precision especially when opposed by a major god? It makes sense that the Crater Makers were supported by someone else to provide the precision - has a Yelm subcult got a myth about an Accurate Spear Throw or similar?

I don't see there actually being 10,000 archers present - that's either literary licence for "a lot" or another heroquest to multiply the effect of whose who were present.

I wonder what the other six important parts of the city were? there are a couple of gatehouses in addition to Tarkalor's gate and Broyan's palace. Tarkalor's gate could be in Lunar hands by this time so there are two or three others.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/