Re: Date WW fell

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:06:57 -0000

This is one of the things that I wrestled with - and why it would happen. One thing that having Orlanth present for instead of a meteor is that the resistance that the 7 of Vistor would encounter would be that of a Great God and not a city Wyter.

My understanding regarding the meteors is from the Dragon Pass game, where by they are classified as a Physical attack. Orlanths riposte when his temple gets twatted is suitable for the 10M12 region!!

I think it was suggested elsewhere, and I can't htink who., that the rocks casting them selves was actually umbrolli tosing debris. Big umbrolli of course.

> Earth defensive magic is still there. I think they aimed to destroy
> Orlanth's magic, and assumed that was all there was to the city
> defences. They were wrong. And that would provide unexpected
opposition
> to ramp-building, I think? Dara Happanas underestimate female magic
> Surely not! :)
>
> We know Broyan and co. got away - see list of survivors in OiD! Is
this
> Benava Chan's last stand?

Now that is cool, especially as I have portrayed her IMG. Bitter, slightly twisted, and no longer feels she has anything to go on for. Don't tell Olend though, when he saw his old Queen shrunken and hollow after the death of Kallai he nearly shed a tear!! (He hadn't seen her since she was exiled.) I'm sure he wouldn't leave her if she stayed and no doubt would have been among the 7 corpses. Maybe they were the people who would not leave the old priestess. Great story!

> I now think we can see at least one reason for delay. If you want
> accurate aim at seven targets of magical significance, shooting
from the
> Moon, you need accurate maps. A little weekend job for a Lunar
agent or
> two. Find the six magically significant spots in WW, and map them.
It's
> not like they're going to be secret, or guarded, or anything :)

Great story idea for the Lunar side. I am firmly in the *must adhere to ritual timetable/ position of the stars* theory so IMO we don't need any further justification.

Regards
Rob