RE: Re: Wiki-Wiki front page, tech stuff

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:23:34 +0100 (CET)

Jane Williams

>>> Some *expletive* *deleted* has ripped out the entire front page of >>> our Wicki-Wiki and replaced it with crap....

> And we've been having spam added (and removed) for a while now.

> Is it time we looked at a more secure server?

It won't hurt to produce a static backup online, but I wonder how many people we would deter if we introduced passwords.

I tried to go with a "disciplined" wiki for Karse, and it seems to have deterred potential participants.

> How are you guys finding the Karse Wiki? I saw it *had* security
> options, but never looked any closer.

As the owner of that wiki:
Seedwiki.com has only limited space for free - 50 pages only. Karse already is at 35 pages with only two active participants...

Getting more space (and a better domain name) is relatively cheap but still needs to be paid for.

The editing tool is more advanced but less easy to handle (among others a java applet which didn't fit my runtime engine so I deactivated it, remaining with HTML editing).

The directory tools are somewhat easier to find, being repeated on each page's sidebar.

I haven't fiddled with security options yet. I dump the content now and then, and restoring an older page is easy since the database handles quite a large number of older versions. On the one occasion when we had parallel edits on the same page this was a great help.

I'll do an experimental "secure" page...

I've been looking into wiki engines lately, and I'd like to try out the engine behind wikipedia. That's a long-term project requiring some online-server, though.