Re: New Wiki almost there - what are the Gates of Whitewall

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:40:13 -0000

> On topic question: What are the names of the gates into Whitewall?
> We have many references to Tarkalors Gate and one reference to the
> Great Gate (in ProgressOfTheSiege) but nothing that explicitly
names
> the gates.

Good question. How many gates do we have, and of what size/type? I'd assume that many will be blocked or reinforced during the siege, but what would there have been to start with?

Tarkalor's Gate opens to a path up to the city proper, and I'd guess the Great Gate is at the top of that?

We know of at least one "sally port" mentioned in a story.

There probably aren't huge numbers of gates compared to most cities, as a gate that opens on to a sheer drop isn't a lot of use.

We have people going out and fighting skirmishes with the Lunars, duels, that sort of thing. They must be getting in and out somehow. Do they use Tarkalor's Gate for that? I seem to remember a bit of fiction (did it ever get Wikied?) aboutr Broyna's girlfriend and her ex-fiancee turning up to challenge people to duels. People could watch the fight from the walls. Was there a small gate involved here?

Could some of the underground routes be "official" rather than "secret", if you see what I mean? With a nice decorated entrance somewhere a mile or so away? Magical defences probably a *bit* better than "say 'friend' and enter", but I quite like the pool with the tentacled sea monster in it.