Re: Re: RFC: should we move to the new wiki?

From: Manuel MOLINIER <astaroth.maillist_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:24:15 +0100

Can you seperate the consultation pages and the update pages ? If yes then the .htaccess account creation might be a good solution (.htaccess account with a name/password given here for updating and no requirements for consulting).

Manuel

  Actually, thinking about it - anyone that wants to update the wiki   will have to create a user id - that should block any robots. But I   suspect that our problem is warm-blooded robots, not the electronic   variety.

> I'd suggest that we somehow "freeze"
> the current Wiki, use it as a
> read-only resource.

  I believe that Tim could do this

> We don't repoint the .info domain until security is sorted.

  Agreed.

> But we can edit the new Wiki, can't
> we, Charles? We just don't want to
> ever write its URL in clear as that
> would tell spammers where to look.

  That will help - but eventually it will leak out. I suspect that   Google and the like have mechanisms to find "hidden" but unprotected   resources. Generally this is a "good" thing.

> Or have I misunderstood things?

  Not at all :-)

  regards,
  Charles

  'Weni, Widi, Wiki.' I came, I saw, I added to the story.

  The WhiteWallWiki can be found at: http://www.eparsnip.f2s.com/phpwiki/index.php?FrontPage