Re: Firewood?

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:15:22 -0000

> Do they cut peat on the Fellmoor?

Yes, this is too good to miss. The best time to cut peat is during early Fire Season - do we raid today or do we go cut peat so we don't freeze our bits off in Dark Season. My memories of peat cutting are that the peat is cut stacked nearby (with lots of air gaps, in a shape that sheds water outwards, any mythic opportunities here?) and left to dry for a year or more. Wet peat is extremely heavy compared with dry peat.

And burning peat gives off lots and lots of smoke and quite a pleasant (to me anyway) smell!

> Is there a coalmine underneath?

I don't like this idea much, we should not have everything and the kitchen sink at Whitewall.

> Do they deal with two problems at
> once and dry the dung from the
> horses? (not enough of it, surely,
> and how would you dry it?)

Absolutely. Similar processing in many ways to peat but with, I guess, a less pleasant smell.

> Hot springs (won't roast a joint,
> though)?

I don't think that we have or should have any fire/heat related features at Whitewall

> Natural gas, and pipes?

No.

>"It's magic"?
No.

> And what happens to all those
> lovely white marble buildings
> when you have smokey fires going
> inside them?

1) this could be one of the reasons Whitewall never made it - they forgot about the smoke.
2) Hearth daimones are mentioned in Thunder Rebels (I think) and they deal with smoke.

regards,
Charles