RE: Re: Firewood?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:58:03 GMT

In message <20050301203455.CJGH9818.aamta03-winn.mailhost.ntl.com_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>Wood:
>> Easy enough to do for Dark season of 1619, much trickier for
>> 1620 if there's any left after both sides have been foraging
>> for a year.
>
>It would have to come in from further afield, in both cases. And I still
>think smuggling high volume goods such as firewood through the siege
>will be tricky.

I can't think of an ancient siege which lasted several years in such a cold position where obtaining fuel would be so essential to the defenders survival. Getting bulk supplies through is easy if the besiegers haven't cut off the city which is the case in 1619 - that doesn't really happen until Tatius takes charge in 1620. After that I don't see how it could be done and I reckon all there is will be comandeered for cooking - one hot meal a day.

>> If the siege had lasted into Dark season of 1621 I reckon the
>> defenders would have frozen to death.
>
>Instead, they moved into Ice Refuge. Hmm. I wonder if that's a
>deliberate parallel?

Could be.

>> How do you see the Orlanthi preventing the Lunars taking or
>> destroying all these peat stacks?
>
>To start with, they ignore them, because they've got no idea what
>they are.

At least half the Lunar army are Tarshites, including many senior officers. They'll recognise the stuff even if they look down on those who use it. And when they get short of fuel they'll take it.

>Later.... I can feel the Battle of Thorgrad's Peat coming on.

Before the Orlanthi realise there's no way they can defend all those stacks scattered around the area. A heroic last stand against overwhelming odds, a clan warband against an entire shieldwall regiment.

>Someone suggested a few messages back that there are hidden cellars full
>of charcoal, along with the granaries. I like. Please can we have a
>breed of black alynxes that live there? We *need* black cats in our coal
>cellar, they'll bring us luck!

I'm sure it's there, but would black alynxes be seen as lucky by the Orlanthi? Surely they'd be associated with darkness and trolls etc.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/