Re: Whitewall Fuels

From: Steve Honey <drfegg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:50:00 -0000

So what is being suggested is that this limestone tor made in the times past is stuck on top of some larger ignious rock massive such as granite. The peat bog then formed on top of this rock. That I can buy.

> Andreas Pittelkow, a fellow Gloranthan and a trained geologist,
pointed
> out to me a few years ago that the volcanoes in Kethaela
produce "acidic" basalt.

The rocks themselves I suspect do not contribute to water chemistry at all, being none soluable. The production of *acidic* water comes from filtration through plant matter (such as peat) and from dissolved CO2 (acid rain). To keep Discus in my aquarium I filter the water through peat in order to inrease the acidity. The ph can get to 5 or lower. This is enough to dissolve carbonate rocks such as limestone in a short period of time (geologically). So if we accept that there is a peat bog on the plateau how much is left? If WW has been cutting it for 500 years I would think not much. Another reason why WW fell into disuse?

As a side note the Vikings used bog iron as a source of metal for weapons etc. Formed I guess through some reaction with the acidic peat.

Vote for charcoal, you know it makes sense! LOL!

Steve.
ps I don't want this to turn into some lengthy pointless debate like we had a year ago about Crimson Bat stall speeds. If you want me to shut up tell me. I won't be offended. I think playing Devil's Advocate can produce some good results and gets people thinking.