Bog Iron: I had a dream

From: drfegg_at_...
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 04:50:21 EST

This is a draft based on ideas floating around my head during the night. I am not an expert on things mythical, I just took a basic idea and went with it.  I hope it may serve as a jump point for the folklore/myth around the bog and bog iron.

In the Beginning Orlanth fought many battles over the land which was to be known as Sartar and Dragon Pass. He passed through the skies. The sound of battle like thunder, the sparks of metal hitting metal flying like lightning. One of these sparks went to ground in area which would become known as Whitewall.

Much later a Spirit of Flamal and a Spirit of Heler became friends. The Water Spirit wanted to spend more time resting on the World before being called skyward by Yelm. The Plant Spirit wanted a safe refuge for Flamal's Children in  the mountains. They struck a deal, The Plant Spirit would hide the Water Spirit from Yelm's gaze whilst the Water Spirit gave life to Flamal's Children. Things went well and the domain of the Spirits grew. Then came the Uz.

During the Darkness the Uz came to the place where the two Spirits called home and began cutting the Bog up. The Uz cut huge chunks of Pickled Elf to eat.  It was tasty and could be stored during lean times to stave off starvation. The two Spirits were beside themselves. They couldn't harm the Uz or scare them enough to drive them off. Worse the Uz began collecting from near the centre were the Spirit's essence was strongest. The Uz sent Enlo down into the dark depths to gather the best Pickled Elf. Both Spirits panicked and began asking other spirits for help. Luckily Flamal, Father of Plants, had the knowledge to help. The Plant Spirit told him of the iron spark which lay deep in the depths of the bog and how it now was the colour of dried blood. Flamal taught the Plant Spirit the song needed. The Water Spirit returned and got Flamal's Children singing. Slowly the water became infused with the iron, not enough to kill Uz but enough to make them sick and look elsewhere for food.

Time marched on until Man came to the area. He too wanted to cut the Pickled Elf but he called it by a different name. He called it peat. By now the bog had grown huge. The Spirits now ancient and sleepy. Man talked to the Spirits and came to a compromise. Man would be allowed to take some peat to dry and store for fuel during harsh winters and in return Man would offer gifts to the Spirits such as food, weapons and especially jewellery. These were thrown into the bog at it's centre at the beginning and end of the cutting season.

It wasn't long before Man started finding strange lumps of *something* in amongst the cut peat. And it was an even shorter time that he found it to be iron. First Man began tearing the Bog apart looking for the lumps but the Spirits had grown stronger since the Uz attacked during the Darkness and so hit back. People cutting peat disappeared, tools began to break more often and the safe paths crossing the Bog moved and shifted. Man communicated to the Spirits  once more and realised what they're doing. The Spirits were scared that the Uz may return and forbade Man to gather the lumps but allowed them to keep what was found accidentally during cutting of the peat.

So that is why Chieftains throw perfectly good swords and brooches into the middle of the Bog and why many of the weaponthanes at Whitewall have iron swords and armour, more than you should expect.

SCENARIO IDEAS
An Ultimate weapon is needed to defeat the Bat. Volunteers are required to go get some iron.
The Lunars have learned the tale and try and get some iron themselves. Volunteers are sought to get the iron they have found back and return it to the centre. Trouble is the Bog's Spirits think they are hostile.

Like I said at the beginning this is myth/folklore from the area to explain the presence of something anomalous. Time scales I know are probably out, like I said I don't know Gloranthan myths like the back of my hand. Steve