Re: Re: Issaries publishing policy and the Whitewall wiki

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:58:11 +0100 (CET)

Rob

> OI YOU LOT!!!! Not so quick with the deletes!!! Jeez.

It's not a delete, but since it is my stuff on Jane's server, I don't want to cause undue trouble. Besides, I am talking to Greg about putting a complete version online.

> I work with contracts every day. The way I see it the Issaries fan
> policy is a protection mechanism for exceptional threats to the
> intellectual property rights of Issaries. I do not believe 'our
> wiki' is such a threat.

Neither do I. The database excerpt is a different proposal, though, and it is something I have been discussing with Greg since before the policy came out. Don't want to spoil that.

> I say leave the stuff up. If Stephen or Greg say otherwise then its
> time to act. Will they? Don't hold your breath! That policy,
> whatever it might say is not about this group or Janes website FREX.

> Its this kind of jerk reaction that is probably what Issaries have
> feared all along. You know, I reckon Greg probably had trouble
> getting the lawyers to go as light as they did.

Two things about this database: right now, the descriptions have too much taken from copyrighted info, with small alterations just like excluded from fair use. In this form only Issaries Inc. may publish these texts, and that's the way the database project has to go.

> The question you have to ask yourself is, am I going to get a legal
> action regarding this material? The answer is no. They have to ask
> you to remove the stuff first. If you refuse, then there is a
> case. However, Issaries are not going to have the resources, at
> $150 a legal letter to attack websites like the wiki.

The database is not the wiki, and never was much part of it. It's on a separate server, using material I cannot guarantee to be without too many quotes. I'm not even sure anybody looked at it these last few months, after all it is limited in scope and utility.

> I say, chill out, update the copyright and ownership blurbs and
> continue as we were. Lets not pre-empt.

You don't see me rushing along about my private webpage, or with the Karse wiki, but I am aware that the database might easily be seen as big style copyright infringement unless it is regarded as a tool developed for Issaries.

About the maps: The tribal positions etc. are based on an Issaries map. They are a problem. The vicinity of Whitewall is completely my own creation and falls under fair use.

I'm discussing maps with Greg, and I'm researching technology to split copyrighted background maps from thematic layers (like tribal distribution) to be made available online. It's part of the database project and my current studies of geoinformation science. If I succeed with my project, there will be a way to use copyrighted maps and do your very own sketches without any trouble.

Nothing of this has been prompted by the publishing policy, but all of it has been affected by (waiting for) it.