Re: The Ruined - New file uploaded to whitewall

From: Jimbruce <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 05:37:32 -0000

You can access this file at the URL:

This file contains 'The Ruined', a draft 'mood and atmosphere' piece that was written to be the introduction to the Whitewall spread in the coming Ye Booke of Tentacles VI. By coincidence, it can also be considered my personal response to 'After the Fall'.

The epigram is Anglo-Saxon, you may need to install a font like Junius or Junius Modern (both on the web)to view it properly.

It's intended to be an introduction to Whitewall that sets up a series of questions and themes, a particular mood. As a mood piece, it is indebted to Anglo-Saxon poetry (one in particular), and to Ossian.

While I note that its flavour is a little different to other expressions of 'After the Fall', note that it relates a single view of the city sometime around 1628-30, from someone with other things on his mind who has not actually walked within the city itself since the seige.

As a pre-publication draft, please don't pass this on. I'll remove it after a few weeks.

And feedback and suggestions are *most* welcome. As always, this is a group project.

And yes its Braggi again, and probably Cradledaughter. Part of the still very fragmentary Kallyrkarla.

Cheers

John