Re: Umbroli

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:51:46 +1000

Jane:

| Are we quite sure Umbroli are as ubiquitous as all
| that? It seems to make life rather too easy.

In my own view, hardly ubiquitous, but there are enough of them around to make a real difference. Like everyone else though, high mortality rate. Umbroli too are defendng the Last Storm.

And for me, keeping a line open between the Gate and the city is a crucial mission.

When it's a standard sentry change, why not just
| walk down the steps?

In my own conception, Tarkalor's Gate has been attacked endlessly, in a myriad different ways. The lower levels are little more than scrap and ruin, the linking roads and bridges are destroyed, the very earth is poisonous and foul. The upper levels are defended, and seem attract something *different* from the Lunars almost every night - wampyres, wyverns, killer fogs, creeping madness... Hence the *glamour* of joining the starwatch (and the rationale for my Tentacles scenario). Survive the starwatch on the Gate and you'll be noticed, and become a candidate for the various hero combats/suicide missions the Heortlings seem so fond of.

I imagine the Gate gets taken (and retaken) half a dozen times over the two years of the seige.

But we still don't seem to have a common conception of the actual approaches, do we? The Mitch/Sam drawings (who is the actual artist of the new version Sam? You said someone from your group.) are brilliant, evocative, powerful, but as Mitch noted, they were done on day one and aren't related except in the broadest sweeps to things like the WW map we've since been using.

Cheers

John