RE: Re: Drawing of whitewall...

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:49:13 GMT

In message <20050601071652.PCH15401.aamta12-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> IMG when Tarkalors gate was attacked, there was a rumbling Orlanth
>> cloud above the city, giving each of the defenders a magic
>> multiplier similiar to that of a Lunar magician under a full red
>> moon outside of the glowline - a x1.5 multiplier.
>
>And this was a permanent effect around WW in your game, I believe, post-Bat?
>
>That's a thought for the group - do we want to adopt this as a general
>concept? I like it, myself, but can see possible balance problems in gaming
>with parties where some PCs have wind magic (what's affected, presumably)
>and others don't. Rob, you had a mix in your pary - how did that work out?

If we do that's going to mean the Lunar characters are going to need bumping up to give adequate opposition. The Lunar magic is balanced in that it varies from day to day so players can choose their timings, a permanent full time effect requires greater opposition with the danger of a silly power race.

>> In fact anyone
>> who would have wanted to jump down to the gate would have just
>> glided down there supported upon the very breath of Orlanth, no roll
>> necessary - I mean how dramatic can you get, scores of Orlanthi
>> literally flinging themselves from the wall in desperation to stymie
>> the Lunar advance!!
>
>But this was a once-off? Not an general transport system?
>"Oh, Olaf's forgotten his sandwiches, I'll just jump off the wall to
>take them to him."

Isn't bringing Olaf his sandwiches Ernaldan magic? In any case getting back up afterwards won't be achievable by jumping. As a one off I really like the idea but I don't think it should be a permanent feature.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/