Re: Re: Drawing of whitewall...

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:38:53 GMT

In message <d7mg46+e5pm_at_...> "Rob" writes:

>And Donald wrote
>
>> If we do that's going to mean the Lunar characters are going to need
>> bumping up to give adequate opposition. The Lunar magic is balanced
>> in that it varies from day to day so players can choose their timings,
>> a permanent full time effect requires greater opposition with the
>> danger of a silly power race.

>My reply
>
>I came up with the super magic effect as a reason that the Orlanthi
>were able to hold out against such odds for so long. When I ran the
>assault on WW by Tatius after he turned up, the attack was on a full
>moon, with magicians and moon boats filled with Lunar champions.
>The Orlanthi gave them a pasting, and continued to do so, almost
>driving them off. Hence the very large military and magical build
>up over the next year and a half or so.

Which makes a great story line for Orlanthi PCs but not so good for Lunar ones. Unless the players are into struggles against impossible odds all the time.

Historically sieges needed overwhelming odds to be successful, not merely 3 or 4:1. 10:1 or even 100:1 is more like it where technology was roughly equal and the defenders were committed. If we give the defenders a magical superiority except on one day a week then it becomes more Rorke's Drift than a siege. It's not as if WW is a weak fortress. In fact I suspect it's rather overmanned for most of the siege but that's fine - allows all sorts of fun stuff like sneaking out to raid the Lunars and making sallies to destroy siege engines.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/