Falling from a great height

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 16:25:08 +0100 (BST)

Jane Williams:

> > > Well, at an acceleration of only 1/60 of gravity,
>
> > Or even 1/3600th (/minute/minute) ....
>
> 9.81 m/sec^2, even.
>
> > Simon (Knitpicking 10W2)
>
> And Spelling 13. It's "nit-picking". Removal of small annoyances, nothing
> do with the manufacture of fabric from yarn.

Damn cordless keyboards - always putting in characters where they shouldn't.

I work in a knitwear/hosiery company, so I know the difference :-( Obviously, I had to make it a work-related email or insert some deliberate irony.

> Jane
> (who rolled a 1 on her own Pedantry 15W)
>
> By the way, HQ p275
>
> Jump down safely from a city wall: 5W2 to 10W3
> Jump down safely from a fortress tower: 5W3 to 10W4

This is much better than resorting to physics. Is the jump harder than a city wall or easier? Some of our Heroes have a Fall From the Sky Feat that they can use to fall incredibly high distances. Nothing mentioned about landing though ....

> Whitewall (walls plus cliffs) is higher than any of these. Please don't try
> a mundane jump?

A long time ago, I went to one of the Welsh castles, can't remember which one, with some of our RQ group. We stood at the top of one of the walls and looked down. Ady said "Fifteen metres? I could survive a fall like that in RQ. Hmmmmm ....."

Simon