Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:05:07 -0000

> That's something I don't like about HQ, the fact that an initiate
of a god
> with a Movement Affinity can use it to improvise any movement
feats.

Actually, no, they can't, not quite as broadly as you have it below.

They can "use it to improvise the named feats" (of his/her god). I'm just taking the concept of "god" very broadly when I say an initiate of any O. Adv. subcult can improvise any O. Adv. feat from any O. Adv. subcult, so that a Niskis initiate can improvise "Fall Softly" - which is a "named feat" in the Tatouth subcult.

Since I'm away from my deak & library, I can't give you chapter & verse of the "improvise from an affinity" rule, but it's in the affinity section of the Initiate writeup.

So,
> someone worshipping a goddess of graceful dance with a Movement
Affinity
> (Graceful Movement, Quick Step) can use that to fall from trees,
run quickly,

Not unless that goddess has named feats of "Fall gracefully from tree" (quick step *could* be argued as "run quickly" - I know that when going through a thick crowd I sometimes find myself using skip change-of-step from scottish country dancing...)

> People without Wind/Flying Magics should not jump off city walls.

But Orlanth specifically has "fall softly" as a *movement* (not wind, not flying) feat.

> even if they don't have them. So, a devotee of orlanthcarl cannot
fly (I hope
> otherwise the example doesn't work) but has Devotee of Orlanthcarl
19, so he
> has a 19x1.5 = 9W chance of jumping safely down from the walls by
relying on
> his piety/devotion to Orlanth.

Except O. Allfather has neither Movement nor Wind affinities of any sort...

> > "An initiate can improvise any named feat in the affinity..."
> >
> > Well, it doesn't actually *say* "from their own cult", but I'd
rather taken
> > that for granted. You're getting the power to do this from your
deity,
> > after
> > all. Otherwise anyone with a Combat affinity looks round for any
feat from
> > any other Combat affinity, and all the cults just merge into one.
>
> I agree, hear, hear.

As I said, the interpretation I'm proposing/using is allowing a broad interpretation of "own Cult" The initiate isn't identified quite so closely with his particular form of O.Adv. so he's not *quite* so tied to the particular feats of Tatouth or Niskis or whoever. On the other hand, he can't cement a feat, or use it without a hefty penalty, so it evens out.

RR