Re: Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:06:44 -0700

>See "Helm's deep" in Two Towers for great examples of men fighting
stoically for their homes.
>I imagine there were a few farmers, crafters, butchers, tanners ,dairymen
and the like in the trenches >during WW1 don't you?

Well, actually, both your examples are flawed (at least as I see them...) At Helms Deep, *everyone* gets swept up in the flight to HD - old women, babies, etc. When they get there and realize that there's not enough men to man the battlements, *then* the old & young * farmers are conscripted. During the modern era, conscription is pretty universal for some age groups, with *some* occupations granted partial or full immunity. Sure, there was a lot of patriotism and the "Friesnds Regiments" and all that, but those guys volunteered to be there. And by joining the army (there weren't a lot of mercenaries in the trenches...) they joined the equivalent of a "fighting cult" - they were taught drill, and marksmanship, and other "modern magics" that make up a soldier.

From my reading of the WW situation, those people that didn't want to stay went away - all that was left were the people *intending* to fight, in what they knew was possibly a hopeless cause. Rather like the defenders of Masada, really.

>Fighting cult? Well, their PEOPLE have become the fighting cult, wether out
of choice or not.

The People don't provide those useful Combat magics.

RR
- Richelieu