RE: Kathy

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:41:00 +0100

> > Right. Having been told that "Owain" is "not a Heortling
> name" (???)
>
> Well, we don't want the *Welsh*, fer crying out loud! :-)

Speaking as someone who married one...

(and latest family history suggests Vortigern and the princes of Powys are part of my ancestry, which may or may not tell us something)...

Given that the Orlanthi are at least in part a Celt/Norse mix analogue, why on earth not??

> KATHERINE (f) From the Greek name Aikaterina. It has been
> linked with Greek aikia "torture" but that theory is unlikely.

We're trying to be nice. Let’s leave that out.

> The Romans derived it from Greek
> katharos "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to
> Katharina to reflect this.

"Pure", and probably Lunar. OK so far.

> The name belonged to a Christian saint and martyr who was
> tortured on the famous Catherine wheel.

Nope.

> This was the name of two empresses
> of Russia, including Catherine the Great.

Don't think WW has space for any more empresses.

> The name was also borne by three of Henry VIII's wives.

But not for long :(

>This is the name of the woman who Petruchio marries
> and tries to tame in Shakespeare's comedy 'The Taming of the
> Shrew'.

More interesting! But do we want a shrew?

> Welsh form of KATHERINE CATRINA

Yep! Orlanthi! :)

> Meaning: pure and virginal

Does that work for your Kathy?

I'm not familiar enough with the Lunar cults... But how about someone on the Lunar side, but *so* sweet, nice, pure, etc. that she can actually get away with wandering around *both* sides? Sounds like a healer on first glance, to me. Also sounds like too much of a cliché at the moment, but I'm sure that won't last.