RE: Re: Kathy

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:54:08 GMT

In message <20050609064026.QGTP24546.aamta10-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>I think we more or less agree that "Kathy", while not a "stupid" name in
>itself, also carries too many modern associations.

All names carry associations, often different ones for different people. I have modern associations with the name Eric but we don't consider that an unsuitable name for an Orlanthi even if we use the scandinavian spelling of Erik. About the only thing I can see is that Kathy is traditionally an abbreviation not a proper name, and the use of abbreviations as proper names is a modern idea.

>Maybe we figure out where in Glorantha she's from before we alter
>her name to fit that model?

Good idea, then it's a matter of choosing the appropriate full version. There's no reason why she couldn't still be known as Kathy to friends and collegues.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/