RE: Talking Torcs (and swords and runes)

From: Scott Rogers <amaretto_sirloin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:45:37 -0700 (PDT)

Would a warrior not openly wear his runes into battle though? I imagine that it would be part of the "arming -up" process to daub woad runes onto his skin, in addition to donning armour and whetting blades etc. In this way, you can splatter your figures with Runes!

Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> JW:
> | So it's all my fault :(
>
> Well, if I'd said "this one is for Jane' I may have come across as
> patronising.

I doubt it, you usually express yourself better than that. I like pretty pressies intended just for me, anyway - who doesn't?

> Your comments were especially helpful though, as always.

Oh, good. I do tend to wonder if I'm not just sitting here nit-picking wthout ever producing anything myself, so I'm glad it does help.

> And as most here know, we have a special list for gratuitous
> patronising, insults and meltdowns. :)

Currently in use for some very boring and unimaginative insults, though :(

> Yeah. Leather leggings aren't that strong in the
> archaeological record. And polygonic virtual figures never chaff.

Sad, isn't it?

> | Any particular subcults?
>
> Open to suggestion.

I had no particular requests or suggestions. Though I wonder if perhaps we need to work around the Poser tendency to mess up clothing? What cults would use little or none?

> | BTW, there's a re-enactment supplier somewhere who does a
> reproduction
> | Sutton Hoo Helmet. Battle-ready, he says. A few hundred
> quid, of course,
> You are also cruel. I have just just moved Millenium Season
> One DVD from the
> top of my covert/wish list. SH reproduction.... droool....

Sorry :(

> When's Chrissie? When's a *rich* Chrissie?

I can answer the first but not the second.

Torcs:
> A torc is either a sign of wealth, rank and herds,
> OR a token rewarded for conspicuous gallantry, sort of like a
> mititary
> medal. Historically, among the Saxon warbands/petty kingdoms
> there was a
> whole economy of plunder and gifting, something I explored in
> the 'heroes in hall' presentation at last years' tentacles.

I wasn't there :(

> So as part of the Heortlings visual and social vocabulary, I see the
> following:
>
> If you wear a sword, you better have the skills and bragging
> stories to back it up.

Yep. It labels you as a pro, full-time, warrior.

> If you wear a torc, you're either a noble or merchant or
> warrior thane or
> have been awarded one for heroism. Other clothing will reveal
> the context.

OK.

> And yes, all the torc-wearers in my renders are heros. Natch. :)

Er, some of them have been fairly normal Vingans, haven't they? Not even I am so biased as to suggest that all Vingans are heros. (Unless you translate "hero" as "PC", in which case it's entirely possible that this is another cult where every member is a PC!)

> If you openly wear a major rune, especially a minority or
> disturbing rune -
> WOOOOO! Its like a slap in the face to everyone who sees its, a real
> fear/respect/warning factor. You better have the power to back it up.
> Stickpickers don't wear death runes. Well if they do, they become
> self-fulfilling prophecies. Live stockpickers don't wear death runes.

That makes sense to me.

And it's a shame, because slapping a few Runes on is such a nice easy way of "labelling" a wargames figure, or indeed a virtual model :(

'Weni, Widi, Wiki.' I came, I saw, I added to the story.

The WhiteWallWiki can be found at: http://www.whitewall.info