Re: Broyan has enemies...

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:53:46 GMT

In message <1120603993.21190.28.camel_at_...> Light Castle writes:

>On Tue, 2005-05-07 at 11:00 +0000, Charles Corrigan wrote:
>> In <http://heroquest-rpg.com/support/hq_rules-qa.html>, Greg mentions
>> that Broyan has the Sword and Helm of Vingkot. If the Esrolian Queens
>> already know this, they will be doing virtually anything to destroy
>> him.
>>
>> Why? Well the reason they are in charge is due to the Sword and Helm
>> wars that started after Kovdig died with an unclear line of
>> succession
>> and the men started killing each other off. Broyan now has these
>> objects that makes him truly the heir of Vingkot. Whether or not
>> Broyan wants to threaten their rule(and I think not), the Queens must
>> feel that _his_ mere existance undermines their right to rule.
>>
>> Any thoughts?

>That's great. What an interesting idea. He is, in fact, a threat
>to the Queens.
>
>But do they truly have to offer him help if he has these artifacts?
>Why? Just because the fight that they used to take power was started
>by that? Couldn't they argue that the fact the regalia's loss could
>cause those wars justifies their actions?

I've been trying to work out how the Queens would view this and I've come to the conclusion they wouldn't think of it as much of a threat. I think they see power as something Ernalda lends to her husband/protectors and if they don't permit Broyan (as Vingkot) to use it he can't do much harm. The possible loophole is that some Heortland or Sartar priestesses may be helping him so I guess they've infiltrated WW to sabotage such help. That also keeps them informed of any HQs he attempts so that they can oppose them if necessary.

It possible that Broyan could HQ to re-establish his kingship over the whole area but it's going to have to be a big one to alter the established belief that Ernalda took back the power of rulership after the men proved they were unfit to hold it. I also have the idea that Esrolia has a much bigger population than either Sartar or Heortland so the Queens have much more community support.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/