Broyan Soprano

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:50:39 -0000

> I'm not familiar with the details of that programme, how many
> captains are there? Up to about ten it's manageable, Broyan
> has many more leaders than that.

Not familiar with the "Sopranos"? Christ, next thing you are going to say is that you aren't familiar with "Deadwood".

Seriously, although I am very familiar with span of command theories of management, I suspect the forces at Whitewall function like the White Company of the 1360s:

"The captain-general, who earned his position by means of respect, confirmed by election, presided over a well-articulated hierarchy of captains, corporals, and marshals. Smaller companies existed within the larger one. A unit might consist of as few as twelve lances (thirty-six men), with its own captain and treasurer who ensured a degree of autonomy at the micro level. It was up to the skill of the captain-general to keep these restless particles together. All decisions were arrived at by the common consent of the commander and a council made up of the leaders of the various contingents. Booty derived from pillage and plunder was carefully divided by the leader and the council among the company's rank and file."

From "The Devil's Broker: Seeking Gold, God, and Glory in Fourteenth-  Italy" by Frances Stonor Saunders.

> Delegation, if Broyan can't delegate he'll rapidly be unable to
> get anything done. If every time someone proposes a raid on the
> Lunar camp Broyan has to instruct each of 50 band leaders whether
> they go or stay to man the walls he'll be able to organise a raid
> a week and nothing else.

That is actually how it worked for many medieval armies.

> Then there's distribution of food
> supplies - when things get short if he can't delegate he'll be
> standing there as the Asrelian priestess doles out the rations.

Again, that's how it worked. Most pre-modern armies had a very flat structure: commander - captain - fighter. Heortling armies are going to be very decentralized - they are held together by the plunder distributed, the charisma of the leader, or by the importance of the conflict. Probably in that order.

> So many disagreements that it becomes unworkable, there just
> aren't that many hours in a day.

I suspect that there are many councils of war (maybe even a daily occurence) where Broyan meets with the 50ish warband leaders and decides what shall be done. Sure in many cases Broyan will say something like "Korlmhy and Gustand - I want you to follow Kallyr and her bands against the Lunar camp while I lead my men against the seigelines. Gyffur, I want you to come with me."

Jeff