Re: Organisational structure inside Whitewall

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:00:48 -0000

Comrades!

Just a quick perspective from the lurker's shadow; while the difference is obviously one of nuance, let me support Jeff's perspective on command in Whitewall (and not just because he uses the Sopranos as the model!).

The concept of a 'chain of command' is a relatively modern, but above all civilised state concept, which I don't think has any real place in this situation. Even Broyan, for all his kingship, simply has _authority_: people respect him and his office, as well as being swayed by his character and the opinions of those around him. That is not the same as his having some institutional right to command as embodied in a modern system.

Thus, Kallyr will be another locus of authority amongst the defenders of Whitewall, but every time she gives an order, the recipient will be making a conscious or unconscious decision as to whether to obey, to question, to ignore or to modify it.

There will be ample scope for rivalries, arguably all the more so if Kallyr begins to look like a 'second Broyan' -- nor need they be confined to the quiet times. History gives us ample examples of situations in which rivalries erupt on the battlefield or in midsiege.  This need not be 'treasonous' -- who is to say that the warleader who disregards Kallyr's orders in battle does not do so because he thinks he has a better idea?

And he may be right. Can I just use this opportunity to make another comment from an observer rather than a participant? On the whole, those involved with this fascinating project are, of course, partisans of the Whitewall cause. As someone who believes the march of civilisation would be greatly assisted by the levelling of this den of xenophobes, thieves and fanatics, let me ask people to consider an issue which doesn't seem to have been given as much attention as it might: what mistakes do Kallyr and Broyan make?

Sure, they are noble heroes, yadda-yadda, but every commander screws up some times, and many conflicts are determined not so much by better quality of troops or generalship but by who manages to screw up _least_. So, share your Broyan and Kallyr blunders!

All the best

Mark