Re: Cock-ups in command

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:37:40 GMT

In message <20050721114322.32693.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>Yep! Members of the Kheldon tribe may have some
>"legal" obligation to her as their duely elected
>Queen, but no-one else does.

More importantly they know she has an obligation to look after them. They can't expect her to do that if they don't fulfil their's.

>> On the whole,
>> those involved with this fascinating project are, of
>> course, partisans of the Whitewall cause.
>
>Donald does defend the Lunars from time to time?

Dirty job but someone has to do it.

>Most of my more interesting Kallyr blunders are being
>turned into fiction, I'm afraid. Yes, she does some
>beauties! You get whole chains of mistakes, and
>attempts to correct them with unintended consequences
>that then need correcting.
>
>But here's a general one to start with, that very much
>links in to all of this. We were saying a while back
>that there's a lot of "discussion" over who gets what
>positions on the various watches that guards the
>walls. And John Hughes has explained to us that most
>people see the night-time watches as tedious, cold,
>dangerous, unpleasant, a time when even if you do
>something heroic, no-one's going to see it so it's
>wasted, and generally something to be avoided.
>
>That's what *most* people think. How do you think a
>Rigsdali will see it? Yes, Kallyr is intellectually
>aware that she doesn't share the majority view here.
>But it keeps slipping her mind :( So if she's the one
>who got delegated the job of sorting out who's on what
>watch.... Oops.

This is where our shortage of named leaders causes us problems. I can't see any reason why Kallyr should get that job. It'll go to a Volsaxi leader simply because with the fyrd they are going to be the biggest group. A Starkval initiate is also going to have the experience to do it well unlike Kallyr.

I'm also not sure how much Kallyr is involved in the leadership of the siege. When we've discussed it before there are large chunks of time when she's elsewhere. I think she'll be part of the inner circle when she's present but primarily as a co-ordinator of external raiding rather than the siege itself. That doesn't mean she isn't called on for specific skills and magic where appropriate.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/