Re: Re: Broyan Soprano

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:31:43 -0700

> > The problem is that some of us are too cheap to buy
> > HBO, so miss out. (I'm
> > sure others of us, not in the US, don't have the
> > opportunity...)
>
> My next question was what on earth this "HBO" thing
> is?

It's a pay-TV channel. Here in the states, we have free TV channels (no, we don't pay a tax to license our TVs), and so-called "premium" channels which cost varying amounts of money per month, and provide access to relatively new theatrical movies (usually before the movies appear in DVD), and some provide their own programming. The Sopranos is a series about a Mafia family, while Deadwood is a western starring Ian McShane (Of Lovejoy fame).

I've never seen either of 'em.

> > As far as Broyan's "Host-status" at WW and the
> > suggestion that you can do
> > whatever you want outside the walls without his
> > say-so; he can always revoke
> > hospitality for egregious troublemakers. You can't
> > use your host's stead as
> > a stronghold for your feuds!
>
> Of course! But there's a distinction between seriously
> pissing off Broyan, and being guilty of oath-breaking.
> Both are very bad things, sure, but there *is* a
> difference. Seriously pissing off Broyan only gets you
> killed.

Well, yes :-).

I think if Broyan grants "Blanket" hospitality ("Are you *our* friend?) or above, then leading enemies to his door might be considered a breach of hospitality in the oath-breaking sense.

Which leads to the thought: what level of hospitality does Broyan normally extend to people? For example, Kallyr is probably at "Salt" or "Live among us", but what about some rag-tag heroband? What level of hospitality is appropriate for your Heores when they show up unannounced?

RR
- Richelieu