Re: Cock-ups in command

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:38:38 GMT

In message <20050721173223.26313.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>Jeff and I had an off-list conversation about the
>resposibilities of tribal kings towards members of
>that tribe, quite a while back. It seems to be
>possible to interpret it in several ways. If your king
>sticks to the letter of the law, they don't have much
>to do.
>
>"The king must protect the weak. He must lead in
>dealing with all issues of justice through the force
>of law and arms. He must choose a tribal council. He
>must muster the people against enemies, and divide all
>plunder among the clans. He must employ a master smith
>and a master brewer."
>� Andrin's Words

The big one in this situation is the second sentence. Broyan will have to resolve disputes and the clans will look to their king to support their case in front of him. Both Kallyr, Leika and others are going to need a lawspeaker for this. Even if the clan has been stupid I don't think there's much way of quibbling out of that obligation. Kallyr's problem is going to be handling this obligation to the Kheldon clans where they conflict with other Sartarite clans.

>> A Starkval initiate is also
>> going to have the experience to do it well unlike
>> Kallyr.
>
>Agreed. You might think that Rigsdal, organise watches
>on walls, obvious type-casting. But no. Put her in
>charge of actually leading the night watch, that's
>another matter, though usually overkill.

I get the impression that Rigsdal is "the watchman" rather than "head of the watch". A solitary figure who does the job well but expects too much of ordinary folk.

>So we need a senior Starkval initiate, probably
>Volsaxi. Anyone want to tell us about him?
>
>My guess would be that he *isn't* one of these
>inspirational leader types, if only because we're
>already over-run with them.

I don't see Starkval as an inspirational cult, rather he's the fyrd leader who spends his time checking equipment, organising drills and making sure everyone knows their place and what they're supposed to be doing. If anything he imparts a quiet confidence that if everyone does what he's told them they will win.

>I'd also guess that Kallyr respects him, but that it
>isn't mutual. He thinks she's irresponsible. In
>comparative terms, he's right.

Well he has to cope with his king emulating Vingkot so another hero will be at least one too many.

>> I'm also not sure how much Kallyr is involved in the
>> leadership
>> of the siege. When we've discussed it before there
>> are large chunks of time when she's elsewhere.
>
>Another area for leadership failure - she's needed to
>make a decision, or explain what's been happening, and
>she isn't there.

That missing explanation is going to be the key - something goes horribly wrong because Broyan didn't know it.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/