Re: Broyan Soprano

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:47:16 -0000

> Maybe, but I think I'd have a similar incident quite early, too. The
trouble
> with saying "I'm the boss here and if you don't like it, leave", is
that the
> people who do just that are usually the ones you wanted to keep.
After that,
> Broyan might learn a few lessons about tact.

Perhaps - but Broyan has been playing high-stakes Orlanthi politics for many years prior to Whitewall. Broyan was a clever and magical warrior who became a successful warband chief. He became King of the Volsaxi in 1610 and later, with the help of the elusive Larnsti to bolster his claims, was acclaimed High King of the Hendreiki in 1617.

Now Broyan's got plenty of local enemies - particularly amongst the Sylangi and Bacofi tribes (who probably have had a long rivalry with Broyan and are willing to embrace the Lunars to try to bring him down) - however, Greg and I have both imagined him as a far more competent political leader than most heroes. Heck, he's even capable of handling someone like Harrek the Berserk (which Kallyr is incapable of doing). And most importantly, he's got a lot of legitimacy with his fellow Orlanthi - especially with the Sword and Helm and those royal Kodigvari tattoos.

Where you are more likely to get conflict is amongst the many proud warleaders who all acknowledge Broyan as boss man. And if Broyan is temporarily incapable of being the central rallying point, well, I can imagine things getting a bit problematic.

Jeff

Jeff