Re: Re: New character - Garstel

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 00:26:58 -0700

> > It's normal for fyrds of different clans to serve in the
> > Tribal fyrd that
> > all their clans belong to. So, Frex, all the Kheldon clan
> > fyrds can serve together in the Kheldon Fyrd.
>
> Does the same apply to warbands? Or not? I saw the tribal warband as being
> distinct group, and higher-quality than the various clan warbands.

Yep. You'd basically have a Tribal Warband (made up of the clan warbands) and a Tribal Fyrd (made up of clan fyrds). But if you want a sub-unit to do something, you'd detach an entire clan warband (or fyrd) to do it - you couldn't take part of the Grey Goose Clan warband and part of the Lone Pine Clan warband and send them off under the champion of the HardRock Clan. (well, you *could* do that, but it wouldn't be the smartest way to do it).

> > Also, from discussions with Greg, their wyters will
> > "integrate" or at least
> > "work together" with the tribal wyter, though we haven't
> > discussed exactly *how* they do this.
>
> When they're away from home like this, I'd guess that much of the
clan/tribe
> wyter abilities don't apply anyway?

Actually, I was thinking of the clan Warband wyters integrating, not the "fyrd wyters" - simply because the warband has it's own wyter while the fyrd (usually) uses the main clan wyter. The warband can travel outside the borders of the clan and act offensively (that is, take the the fight to the opponent, as opposed to acting like jerks and troublemakers and not bathing - no special wyter needed for *that* sort of "offensive"! :-) ) because it has it's own wyter, that they can carry outside the tula boundaries.

The fyrd is the last "Home Defense" and, except in extreme cases, wouldn't be traveling outside the Clan tula. So when the Fyrd goes off to war, they'd use the Tribal wyter as the "Fyrd Wyter" - as long as they were on the tribal lands, where the wyter can aid them. For a fyrd to act offensively in foreign tulas/lands, they'd have to take the clan/tribal wyter object with them. Should they be defeated and the wyter taken or destroyed, the whole clan/tribe would be in a bad way (to put it mildly).

So the difference between warband and fyrd isn't just the ability ratings and equipment of its members, but the wyter they use as well.

There are also what you might call "temple" or "cult" warbands - the Humakti regiment is the best known of this sot of thing, but any of the fighting cults might have a wyter and warband, though I dare say they are fewer to be found. I betchya that the GreyDog Humakt temple will attract Humakti (at least from the Lismelder tribe, and possibly some of the surrounding tribes as well), and they will fight as a seperate warband from the Greydog warband when the entire Lismelder Tribe goes to war. (Or at least, they probably would in *my* campaign, if I was running one...). I doubt that there are many "Cult" warbands around - a tribe might have one or two of this sort of warband. The "Vingan" warband that Kallyr seems to be attacting would be of this type. Of course, it takes a special type of person to pledge themselves to a cult warband instead of their own clan. White Wall might have a disproportionate number of cult warbands. (And let's not forget herobands that are cross-clan, cross-tribe amnd even cross-cultural!). mercenary warbands, cult warbands, clan and tribal ones...

RR
- Richelieu