RE: Warbands and Wyters

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:11:20 +0100

> > So the "yep" was actualy a "nope"? No, the tribal warband is *not* a
> > distinct entity of higher standard? Despite the higher
> ratings given to it in the background books?
>
> No, the "yep" was a "yes" (hmm, this is getting tangled). The
> tribal warband
> *is* a distinct entity (seperate from the tribal fyrd)

Well, naturally it's separate from the fyrd - it's a warband!

> of higher standard,

yep

> and is composed of clan warbands.

Then how can it be of higher standard if it's the same people?

> Or do you mean tribal warband vrs clan warbands?

Yes, exactly.

> The "core" of the tribal
> warband is probably the clan warband of the tribal king's
> clan. He probably
> has more "disposable income" to attract (one should not say
> "hire" though
> that's really what it comes down to) better weaponthanes, and
> kit them out in better gear, than a clan chief.

Hence my feeling that the tribal warband is different from (and better than) the clan ones. But you seem to be assuming a much closer tie between the tribal king and his clan than I do. Of course, I tend to look at Kallyr, and since her own clan was wiped out back in 1602, she's much more tribal-based. Anything but the norm.

> The tribal warband leader is most likely
> a member of the Royal clan, or will be closely allied.

Surely he's from the tribal war temple?

> - do you want
> the guy with 18w2, but who is from a not-all-that-allied
> clan, or a 5W2 who
> is your brother with "love Family 10W2"?

I know which I'd want, but politics may dictate otherwise.

> Anywhere it wants. a Clan warband is a heroband composed of fighters
> (mostly) who are all related to each other. Like any other heroband.

Yes - like I was assuming, totally different from a fyrd.

> > > For a fyrd to act offensively in
> > > foreign tulas/lands, they'd have to take the clan/tribal
> > > wyter object with them.
> >
> > And I don't for one moment believe that many of them have
> done this at WW.
>
> Very unlikely. Lose the wyter, and the clan is toast.

So we have Volsaxi fyrd at WW, but any Sartarites are warband. Even if they only joined a warband for this purpose.

> > mind, would we agree that what Sartarite clans send is the
> warband, not the
> > fyrd? Even if this means half the members of the fyrd
> joining the warband?
>
> Sounds right to me.

Good.

> Though the sartarite clans may have two "warbands"
> going - one at WW, and one back on the clan lands.

Yes.

> It would take a good lot
> of convincing to get a clan to let *every* warrior in the
> clan run off to far-away lands.

Quite. I doubt if even Kheldon ones are that mad.

> The question would be one of "which warband gets the old and
> powerful wyter, and which has to make due with a new and not
> as experienced one?"

I think I can figure that out, too.

So the Sartarite clan representation is "warband", but a warband consisting of "warriors" who were in the fyrd last week, and with a brand new wyter. They may not be quite up to standard :( Keep augmenting off that "hate Lunars" and "want to prove myself", guys. You need it.