Re: Volsaxi clan names?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:57:01 -0000

> I know you're working away behind the scenes, and I just wonder if
this bit
> of background has been tied down yet.
> I'm looking for the names of Volsaxi clans likely to have sent
clan warbands
> to WW. The date is shortly after Tatius' arrival, and hence
Pharon's arrival
> and the change in the nature of raiding and so on. Are any of
these names
> fixed, are they likely to be fixed...?

I strongly doubt Greg or I will figure out the names of all or even most of the Volsaxi clans. Remember, there are probably about 100 clans in the Volsaxi confederation. That being said, Joerg is right - the Kurtali clan was part of the Curtali tribe. However, they were wiped out by the Kitori in 1579, but the Night Jumpers were able to defeat the Kitori and claimed the right to form their own clan from King Enfrew of the Volsaxi. The Night Jumpers are now a clan/heroband that owe allegiance to no king.

Here's some population figures:
Volsaxi confederation: 110K Rural, 13K Urban (Karse 6K, Smithstone 3K, Whitewall 4K)
Troll Woods: 5K
Karhend: 139K Rural, 11K Urban (Jansholm 8K, Sklar 3K) Gardufar: 130K Rural, 20K Urban (Durengard 10K, Backford 7K, Leskos 3K)
Esvular: 136K Rural, 14K Urban (Mt. Passant 8K, Duchamp 3K, Viszl 3K) County of the Isles: 2K
Bandori County: 25K Rural, 5K Urban (Refuge 5K) Marcher Barons: 20K Rural

It is worth keeping in mind that until the 1570s, the Kitori tribe held political sway over large parts of Volsaxiland, perhaps all of it. Tribute went to the Kitori kings. They were still close to the uz tribes that lived in the Plateau and got regular troll help.

Jeff