Re: Sylangi

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:52:00 -0000

Great. I will search the wiki then for Sylangi references. I am also a member of the Wilmskirk list, so I will search there also.

> I'm a bit curious about the nature of that grant. Is this a case
similar
> to Baron Sanuel (whose grant was given by the Lunars)? Normally,
Broyan's
> position as a Vingkotling king wouldn't enable him to grant feudal
land.

I have learned since running my game at WW that Broyan is indeed a Vingkotling King and what that actually means. I have also learnt more about what being a Larnsti actually means. The thing is when I ran my game I had this idea that Heortland was like westernised Theyalans, going from my RQ3 stuff, specifically the Genertela Book p.49. Whether or not this is now canon I don't know but I have actually presented it like this. Obviously with the advent of Heroquest we have discovered the Esvulari which I was unfamiliar with. Thats not such a problem because we, being at Whitewall, were more concerned with the Whitewall Confederation of 4 tribes, including the Sylangi.

Another mistake that I had made that I am sort of bound to as we have played it this way is what High King means to Broyan and the tribes of the Whitewall Confederation. Coming from Pendragon I was taking the feudal route, which I know is wrong, but it did provide a degree of colour and juxtaposition compared to the rustic barbarian lifestyle we had played 'oop north'.

Now, the Sylangi are 'The Great Traitors' and Broyan has this highly effective, small group of heroes that he can toss at the Sylangi, and what better way than by making the leader of the group a Baron of the Sylangi Kings lands!!! If someone has detailed the Sylangi and personalities then I'd probably drop that straight into my game.

> Most Sylangi were not supporting Broyan, so this grant may have
been pique
> at their backstabbing.

Spot on. Thats how I see it. The character has Larnsti ancestry that he is as yet unaware of, so it may be possible for him to become King of Heortland after Broyan. Are there any refernces to what happens after Broyan is killed and post Dragonrise?

Regards
Rob