Re: re: Lunars in Orlanthi HQs

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:12:24 +0100 (BST)

> Been a couple of years since we were discussing how
> Heroquesting might
> be relevant to Whitewall under the topic of "Lunars
> in Orlanthi HQs"
> but I found this while "housekeeping" through my
> unmailed drafts and
> decided that it's still slightly relevant, is about
> as complete as it's
> ever going to get, and may as well be sent before I
> erase it. ^_^;

And I'm very glad you did, it's lovely!

> One possibility is outlined in an "example" on P.
> 203 of Heroquest
> under "Duped by the Raccoon"

Will mark that for re-reading..... I must admit I tend to skip the examples in the book, they're too full of surfing PCs and appalling dialogue.

> when the sorceror behind the sorceress the
> PCs were heroquesting against was able to insert
> himself into a
> particular HQ station where the PCs had to deal with
> him on a peaceful
> basis (or at least hear him out) by virtue of being
> a very distant
> blood descendent of the Raccoon people and knowing
> their myths.

Nice!

> the use of ancestral ties to become a
> "necessary person"
> might be a fairly standard Lunar technique of
> coopting or exerting
> influence over somebody else's HQ.

er...but most Lunars *aren't* related to the Orlanthi, not even distantly.

> Can you imagine the dismay of the
> poor Heortling warrior who has to rescue, accompany
> and be advised by a
> princess in order to accomplish a heroquest only to
> find that in normal
> life she's a Lunar missionary ....

Yes. Oh, yes, I certainly can :) I won't be using that idea in WW, but in other places... (grin).

> OTOH, it occurs to
> me that this might not be without risk for the
> interlopers either.
> Scripts, stories and characters all have a life of
> their own even in
> the real world, and in the Hero Plane that they are
> the substance of
> I'd figure their semi-sentience can only be even
> stronger and more
> resistant to tampering than they are here

Glorantha has a "don't mess with me" ability of around 10W15, I believe.

> Rereading this there's one scenario seed that occurs
> to me along the
> lines of the old "Big fleas have little fleas" poem:
> Nothing like having your own
> claim-jumping hijacked by
> somebody else's claim-jumping, is there? ^_^

Ambushing an ambush.... yeah, I like it!

And it occurs to me that very little of that post was WW specific. HQ-specific, yes. Could be worth copying it to say HQ-RPG? It would work anywhere where hero-questing is done, it's not even limited to Glorantha.