Re: re: Lunars in Orlanthi HQs

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 02:06:11 GMT

In message <994905.87745.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>--- Denethor Hurin <sinherit_at_...> wrote:

>> Can you imagine the dismay of the poor Heortling warrior who has
>> to rescue, accompany and be advised by a princess in order to
>> accomplish a heroquest only to find that in normal
>> life she's a Lunar missionary ....
>
>Yes. Oh, yes, I certainly can :) I won't be using that
>idea in WW, but in other places... (grin).
>
>> OTOH, it occurs to me that this might not be without risk for the
>> interlopers either. Scripts, stories and characters all have a life
>> of their own even in the real world, and in the Hero Plane that they
>> are the substance of I'd figure their semi-sentience can only be even
>> stronger and more resistant to tampering than they are here
>
>Glorantha has a "don't mess with me" ability of around
>10W15, I believe.

However Glorantha doesn't usually tamper with individuals. The usual effect of someone not following the myth is that they find themselves in another myth which they don't know. If they get lost on the hero plane for long enough their body in the mortal world dies.

So if the Heortling hero is supposed to fall in love with the princess and doesn't even manage to fake it reasonably well they get an unexpected station where an irate king accuses him of carrying off his daughter for nefarious purposes.

Actually I think the Lunars don't just try and insert their own heros into enemy quests. They try and switch a quest to one of their own. So they might place a Novitiate of HonEel the Dancer in the role of princess and turn the HQ into HonEel seduces the barbarian prince to convert him to the Lunar way. Much more effective than preaching at him.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/