Re: Delayed welcome - new member

From: Stuart Cogger <stuartcogger_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:00:32 -0000

I am imagining a magical assault using spirits and elementals followed by an attack using what today would be called "Assault Pioneers" who would be magically protected shock troops whose role would be to get ladders across the bridge and into place. These ladders would be enchanted for protection, and would have an enchantment that would allow them to bind themselves to the walls.

The problem for the Lunars seems to be the narrow bridge and the inability to get a large number of archers on the opposite side of it along with the amount of infantry necessary for the assault. So I see that infantry assaults are going to be extremely bloody affairs that will cause the Lunars huge losses (but that's never stopped anyone before has it?)

> Where are your heroes actually standing? I'm having
> problems visualising it.

Using the artists impression, I had this particular group on top of the gatehouse with the towers either side of them and the face of the mountain at their rear.

> We had fighting platforms at the tops of the walls,
> above the Gate, and shelters further inside the Gate
> complex.

Do you mean platforms that lean out over the edge of the walls, or that stand atop them?

 One assault involved magic and
> artillery-thrown Sticky Stuff being used to blast the
> Gate down while leaving the stonework intact, followed
> by an immediate assault. A later one made it clear
> that missile fire from outside the walls (troll
> slings) could be a serious danger to anyone standing
> on top of the Gate, and a warband goes outside the
> gates and walls to chase the trolls away.

The narrow nature of the bridge makes using the gate as a sally port a really useful idea, and should make for some cool one on ones between rival heroes. What a cool arena for that. It's almost like a stadium with opposing fans on either side - very Homeric.

> I don't think we have any clashes, do we? Donald?

Let me know because I love this mutual creation thing. My only problem is finding the time to read everything that's been done before...