Re: Re: Delayed welcome - new member

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:11:05 +0000 (GMT)

> > > anyway, http://runequest.journalspace.com

> I am imagining a magical assault using spirits and
> elementals
> followed by an attack using what today would be
> called "Assault
> Pioneers" who would be magically protected shock
> troops whose role
> would be to get ladders across the bridge and into
> place. These
> ladders would be enchanted for protection, and would
> have an
> enchantment that would allow them to bind themselves
> to the walls.

Just like the ones used on the Cradle. Sounds good to me.

Do you have attacks on bits of wall not reachable by the bridge, to either side of the Gate? Or do you see that as being too high a cliff?

> The problem for the Lunars seems to be the narrow
> bridge and the
> inability to get a large number of archers on the
> opposite side of it
> along with the amount of infantry necessary for the
> assault. So I see
> that infantry assaults are going to be extremely
> bloody affairs that
> will cause the Lunars huge losses (but that's never
> stopped anyone before has it?)

Yes - we had them softening the place up a bit by exploding the Gate and adding an illusion of fire, just before hitting it with infantry. It worked.

> Using the artists impression, I had this particular
> group on top of
> the gatehouse with the towers either side of them
> and the face of the mountain at their rear.

Fine: same area as I have people standing in later, then. Solid stone platform at that point, you're on top of the keystone of the arch that's over the gate.

Incidentally, by my time at least, there's a magical Gate Guardian, put in place by Tarkalor, and of unknown abilities and strength.

> > We had fighting platforms at the tops of the
> walls,
> > above the Gate, and shelters further inside the
> Gate
> > complex.
>
> Do you mean platforms that lean out over the edge of
> the walls, or that stand atop them?

I was seeing them as just inside the walls and a little lower than the tops, giving a wider platform than the bare walls provide. More room for troops, less chance of being pushed off backwards into your own defences.

> The narrow nature of the bridge makes using the gate
> as a sally port
> a really useful idea, and should make for some cool
> one on ones
> between rival heroes. What a cool arena for that.

Yes :) "How Horatio kept the bridge", Stamford Bridge, all sorts of inspiration.

> It's almost like a
> stadium with opposing fans on either side - very
> Homeric.

Very true. Shame our battles are at night, really.

> > I don't think we have any clashes, do we? Donald?
>
> Let me know because I love this mutual creation
> thing. My only
> problem is finding the time to read everything
> that's been done before...

In this case we haven't published what we've done, so you'd have had a job reading it... you're out there, we now match to you, not vice versa, if needed.