Re: Delayed welcome - new member

From: Stuart Cogger <stuartcogger_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:34:26 -0000

I was quite smugly thinking that I'd had a good original idea and you go and remind me that I've obviously gone and pulled it straight out of my unconscious. Right down to the glue spells. Oh well, all very postmodern, I guess.

> Do you have attacks on bits of wall not reachable by
> the bridge, to either side of the Gate? Or do you see
> that as being too high a cliff?

Trying to come up with a rational means of besieging the gate from the chasm below is currently eluding me. It seems too steep, especially when any wooden construction could be shredded by suitably powerful sylphs.
I think that the gate is an attractive target, if a difficult one, purely on the rationale of attrition. The Lunars can afford to lose more people (at least in the mind of Tatius).

> > The problem for the Lunars seems to be the narrow
> > bridge and the
> > inability to get a large number of archers on the
> > opposite side of it
> > along with the amount of infantry necessary for the
> > assault. So I see
> > that infantry assaults are going to be extremely
> > bloody affairs that
> > will cause the Lunars huge losses (but that's never
> > stopped anyone before has it?)
>
> Yes - we had them softening the place up a bit by
> exploding the Gate and adding an illusion of fire,
> just before hitting it with infantry. It worked.

Yes, illusions. of course. I was trying to think of a Gloranthan equivalent to smoke. And isn't the rationale of Gloranthan illusions that they are actual changes (albeit of limited duration) to the physical world? This would make illusory bridges to certain parts of the wall a useful tactic. I love the idea of an illusion being dispelled or expiring before a particular unit has gotten all the way across and the scene of them tumbling into the chasm. Quite a cinematic scene methinks...
In fact a regiment of priests/sorcerors with Illusions would make an extremely effective siege train, would they not?

> > Using the artists impression, I had this particular
> > group on top of
> > the gatehouse with the towers either side of them
> > and the face of the mountain at their rear.
>
> Fine: same area as I have people standing in later,
> then. Solid stone platform at that point, you're on
> top of the keystone of the arch that's over the gate.
>
> Incidentally, by my time at least, there's a magical
> Gate Guardian, put in place by Tarkalor, and of
> unknown abilities and strength.

I like the idea that the Lunars are forced to try to take the walls rather than go through the gate...

> > > We had fighting platforms at the tops of the
> > walls,
> > > above the Gate, and shelters further inside the
> > Gate
> > > complex.
> >
> > Do you mean platforms that lean out over the edge of
> > the walls, or that stand atop them?
>
> I was seeing them as just inside the walls and a
> little lower than the tops, giving a wider platform
> than the bare walls provide. More room for troops,
> less chance of being pushed off backwards into your
> own defences.

yup, I see what you mean now...