Re: Re: Delayed welcome - new member

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:47:59 +0000 (GMT)

Or just a case of parallel evolution. It's a good idea, so more than one person comes up with it.

> > Do you have attacks on bits of wall not reachable
> by
> > the bridge, to either side of the Gate? Or do you
> see
> > that as being too high a cliff?
>
> Trying to come up with a rational means of besieging
> the gate from
> the chasm below is currently eluding me.

True, but I was thiking of the rest of the wall. Spread those troops over a wider front.

> It seems too steep,
> especially when any wooden construction could be
> shredded by suitably powerful sylphs.

Though this is early days: the Lunars might try things now that later on they know won't work.

> I think that the gate is an attractive target, if a
> difficult one,
> purely on the rationale of attrition. The Lunars can
> afford to lose
> more people (at least in the mind of Tatius).

Yes. Not that Tatius is here yet, is he? This is pre-Bat, or am I misunderstanding?

> Yes, illusions. of course. I was trying to think of
> a Gloranthan
> equivalent to smoke. And isn't the rationale of
> Gloranthan illusions
> that they are actual changes (albeit of limited
> duration) to the physical world?

I'm honestly not sure. I call certain magical effects "illusion" because that's what the people on the recieving end call them. In this case it was done by a Lunar sorceror (probably - I know he was a Lunar, I'm less sure about his type of magic.) Later on, I hve illusions as done by an Orlanthi Trickster, and I doubt very much if they're the same in any way. Trickster magic does not obey the rules.

> This would make illusory bridges to certain parts of

> the wall a useful tactic.

If that's the case, then yes, certainly. Though a simple flying spell might be easier to come by.

> I love the idea of an illusion being
> dispelled or expiring before a particular unit has
> gotten all the way
> across and the scene of them tumbling into the
> chasm. Quite a
> cinematic scene methinks...

Very cartoonic. The bridge is safe, up to the point where they look down and realise it isn't there.

> In fact a regiment of priests/sorcerors with
> Illusions would make an
> extremely effective siege train, would they not?

Possibly *too* effective. We want this siege to last more than a week.