Re: Re: Delayed welcome - new member

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 20:28:28 GMT

In message <fo1hq1+1g7j_at_...> "Stuart Cogger" writes:

>> In more general terms I'd be reluctant to use the phalanx
>> for such an attack. The Dara Happen stone phalanxes are
>> sun worshippers so their magic will be at a disadvantage
>> at night.
>
>This is one of those strange Gloranthan ironies, that the powers of
>sun worshippers tend to make them more effective at night since their
>magic can provide them with light and night vision when those they
>fight have not thus giving them a massive advantage. I personally
>don't like this, but I can live with it.

I rather think this is a result of the RQ emphasis on sun worshippers being the source of light spells. Sure they can compensate by using magic but when they are using magic to see they can't use it to attack the enemy. I'd put dazzling your opponent with the brightness of your armour and shields as even more effective.

> They are also the only good troops Jorkandros
>> has got at this time. If they are defeated the whole army
>> is likely to fall apart and the seige be broken. Jorkandros
>> would have to be a very reckless general to take that risk
>> especially given the disgrace of such an elite unit suffering
>> heavy casualties under his command.
>
>You obviously have a good concept for Jorkandros, so I'm happy to
>take all that on board

Not really, the position he is in dictates his options. I see him as competent but unimaginative and without the political connections to overrule others. Pretty much anyone else in the same position would react as he does.

>As Jane says, my protagonist is a former member of the Beryl Phalanx,
>and it's that inside knowledge of the Lunar military that makes him
>an asset to the defenders, as well as his affinity with Darkness. But
>that idea of a company of hoplites at the centre makes more sense
>anyway, since lighter troops would be needed to force the top of the
>ladders, anyway. Try as I might I cannot wrap my head around taking a
>long spear and a hoplite shield up a ladder with any degree of
>fighting efficacy.

You want well armoured troops to force the top. Strap the shield to your back, ditch the spear and rely on your sword. Of course if more expendable troops can manage to establish a hold it'll be easier for the hoplites. If they can't the defenders will be getting tired.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/