Tarkalor's Bridge

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:27:31 +0100 (CET)

>>--- donald_at_... wrote:
>>>I'd envisaged a rather
>>> wider bridge at least comfortably wide enough for a
>>> wagon.
>>> So spearmen would be able to cross in formation.
>>
>>Of course - that's the original point of the bridge,
>>isn't it? Tarkalor didn't actually set it up as a
>>backdrop for Heroic Fights at all. Any guesses how
>>many spearmen fit into the same width as a wagon?
> Depends on the formation. A wagon is going to be about as
> wide as a small lorry so advancing shield to shield you'd
> get four or five. That's going to be pretty slow unless
> they are well trained so it might be as few as three abrest.

Tarkalor brought trade to Whitewall. Is it just me, or would that mean two-way travel across the bridge, i.e. two wagons wide?

I mean the model for the construction (and the way up to across the gatehouse) is the dwarf-made (or dwarf-made-style) road between Boldhome and Jonstown. A piece of architecture that seeks its rival in central Genertela, comparable maybe to the Bridges of Godunya. A functional trade route despite several hundred meters of height difference, with viaducts etc. enabling an almost straigth road while clinging to the cliffsides of the Quivin Peaks.

The bridge spans a rather long gap. If it is a single arch rather than a viaduct with lots of columns downward, you would not see if there is traffic on the opposite side. (I've driven across such bridges connecting the Lofoten archipelago. Some have a passage on top...)

Backing up a heavily loaded wagon is hard. A trade route ought not make that a normal event.

>>> Alternatively Jorkandros could create a vexillia
>>> around a
>>> hundred of the phalanx to inspire the rest of
>>> attacking force.

>>That's an idea. I like.

> It assumes he has a fereshori and banner to form the vexillia. > I'm not really sure how common these are.

Neither am I, but then this is something which I trust Fazzur to have at the ready.